Monday, April 26, 2010

Showing Respect for Elders

This past weekend I was finally able to catch up on four episodes of NBC’s new show, “Parenthood.” I LOVE this show! I think I’m enjoying this show because it’s so real. It covers many aspects, if not all, of parenting. Aspects that I’m currently going through when it comes to play dates and wanting your child to be a bit more assertive when it comes to speaking his/her mind, and a few others I shall keep to myself.

However, there is one scene in Episode 105 titled “The Situation” where the entire Braverman family is sitting around the table having dinner. Steve, Haddie’s new boyfriend, calls Haddie’s grandmother by her first name “Camille,” as he compliments her on her home cooking. Back the truck up! Did he just address an elderly woman by her first name? This is a teenager people. There is no way this is happening I’m thinking. Not only that, he also calls Haddie’s mom by her first name, Kristina. What teenager in their right mind does this? I’m also assuming that neither of these women have given him permission to do so. I’m going to use this atrocity and turn it into a teaching moment.

Teenagers/children should NEVER call an adult by his/her first name unless given permission to do so. I am often referred to by many of the girls I once coached in pageantry/etiquette as “Miss Kim.” Now that many of them are adults and in their 20s I am perfectly fine with them calling me Kim, however they still call me Miss Kim. However, as a teen you should never call your friends parent by their first name unless given permission to do so, and then you should insist upon calling them Mr. or Mrs. Thomas. It’s simply a sign of respect. If a teen wants respect you have to give respect.

If you’re introducing your boyfriend/girlfriend to a parent for the first time, remember this in this order:

  1. Introduce a younger person to an older person
  2. Introduce a boy to a girl
  3. Introduce a man to a woman
  4. Introduce a young person to your parent
    Always include last names when making an introduction. No matter how comfortable you may feel with your boyfriend or girlfriend’s family, always address the adults by Mr./Mrs./Miss + last name.

Parenthood "The Situation"

0 comments:

Post a Comment